Golfers, not unexpectedly, are so enthralled with the Pinehurst Resort and more than 40 other golf courses in the area that they sometimes overlook the many other attractions and activities in the area.
Golf is indeed an all-consuming passion and integral part of every day life in the Pinehurst area, and there are many interesting and fun things to do away from the fairways. Better still, the non-golfer spouse will never be bored in Pinehurst.
Here are 10 great off-the-course activities to enjoy once the last putt has been made for the day:
1. Village of Pinehurst--Situated behind the Pinehurst Resort, this quaint, walkable village is brimming with specialty boutiques, art galleries, pubs and historic homes and cottages. It's a great place to relax after a round of golf.
2. Pottery Shopping--There are over 100 world class potters who have studios in the Pinehurst area. Pottery enthusiasts should make a trek to Seagrove Pottery of the Sandhills (about a 40 minute drive), which has more than 25 pottery artists works available and on display and more than 800 pieces to view.
3. Carolina Horse Park--This 250-acre facility hosts a variety of championship level equine competitions as well as dog shows and other events. One of its most popular events is the Stoneybrook Steeplechase on the first Saturday in April.
4. Pinehurst Harness Track--A 111-acre training facility for trotters and pacers, it's open from Labor Day to Easter. You can watch the horses train in the morning and there are also other events like horse, car and dog shows and rugby matches as well as an on-site restaurant.
5. Sandhills Horticultural Gardens--Spanning 27 acres, these beautiful gardens feature a wide array of foliage and flowers, including Azaleas, Flowering Dogwood and Common Periwinkle. There's also a Japanese Garden and Fruit and Vegetable Garden.
6. Wine Appreciation and Tastings--There are several wineries and wine shops in the Pinehurst area for those who enjoy and appreciate fine wines. Some notable stops for wine lovers are Black Rock Winery, Sandhills Winery, Cypress Bend Vineyards, Little River Vineyards and the Wine Cellar & Tasting Room.
7. Raeford Parachute Center--If your idea of a good time is jumping out of plane, this is your chance to enjoy the experience. Situated about a 20 minute drive from the Village of Pinehurst, this company offers tandem diving as lessons to prepare you for an accelerated free fall.
8. Broadhurst Gallery--Located on Midland Road, this gallery has a 4,500 square foot display area highlighting artworks and a garden with sculptures.
9. Jogging or walking at Reservoir Park--This scenic park has a 2.1 mile trail around a lake.
10. Bicycling--With it's tree framed streets, towering pines and historic homes, the Pinehurst area is a great place to take a leisurely bike ride.
For a fantastic, expertly planned golf vacation to Pinehurst and other fabulous U.S. and International destinations, click to PREMIER GOLF or call 866-260-4409 to speak with one of our knowledgeable and experienced golf travel specialists.
Labels: Pinehurst, Pinehurst Resort, Pinehurst wineries, pottery shopping in Pinehurst, Things to do in Pinehurst, Village of Pinehurst